Amanda Womack complained about her Dr. Pepper tasting like gasoline, and noticed a white spider web like spot on the bottom of the bottle. Her fiance Kevin Hamilton smelled the bottle then rushed Womack to the emergency room.
After the hospital visit the couple stopped by the store to tell the clerk about what had happened.
Womack, "As they proceeded to go to the back where the sodas were, they pulled the bottles down and they looked just like mine. And when they opened it, they smelled just like gas."
At first the city's Health Department would not get involved, telling Hamilton he would need to get the testing done on his own. He contacted Dixie Labs, who reported that the Dr. Pepper bottles had traces of gasoline components inside. Chemicals like benzene and naphthalene.
After hearing the reports both Dr. Pepper and the city's Health Department moved in. The Health Department released the following statement: "It was not its responsibility to find out how it happened. But in its final report: Resolved, the bottles were not contaminated at the Dr. Pepper facility. But could have been contaminated at a third party location or at the store."
And if the sodas come in contact with substances like gasoline, it can be absorbed through the plastic bottles.