Both Midland and Odessa say they are being inundated with reports of stalled vehicles and water rescues calls.
MIDLAND/MIDLAND COUNTY CLOSED INTERSECTIONS
- Scharbauer and Edwards
- Scharbauer and Benton
- Scharbauer and Barber
- Scharbauer and Carver
- Scharbauer and Fairgrounds
- Golf Course at the Draw near Fairgrounds
- Dormard and Midland Draw
- Busn. 20 and Midland (monitoring vehicles on standby watching)
- Terrell and Mississippi
- Terrell and Loiusanna
- Front at the County Barn
- F.M. 1270 and I-20 (report of car submerged)
- St Andres Dr. and Busn. 20
- Midkiff at Graffa Park
- Hwy. 307 & I-20
- Hwy. 158/Garden City Hwy & I-20
- Hwy. 191 & Loop 250
- Hwy. 349 at Busn-20
MIDLAND FLOODED INTERSECTIONS
Midland officials say the following areas are experiencing "heavy flooding:"
- Scharbauer & Main
- Big Spring & Missouri underpass
- Andrews & Loop 250 overpass
- A St. & Scharbauer
- Wadley & Ward - lights are down, it's a four-way, stop
The city of Midland advises: Vehicles marked with yellow police tape have been searched by EMS. You do NOT need to call and report these. EMS is still working to ensure all vehicles reported are searched for victims. These unnecessary reports slow down fire response times.
TxDOT has reopened some roads as flooding as receded. Here are the roads that have reopened to full traffic:
- Hwy. 191
- Hwy. 158
- Hwy. 307
- Hwy. 349
Remember, these roads still have some water on them. Drive carefully and use caution.
Tx-DOT is reporting flooding and/or delays across nearly every highway in Midland County:
- F.M. 1788
- Loop 250
- Busn. 20
Tx-DOT is reporting flooding and/or delays across nearly every highway in Howard County:
- F.M. 846
- U.S. Hwy. 87
- F.M. 1584
- F.M. 669
- Hwy. 350
- Hwy. 176
- F.M. 700
- F.M. 820
Tx-DOT is reporting flooding and/or delays across a few in Ector County including:
- U.S. Hwy. 385
- F.M. 554
- F.M. 1936
- F.M. 866
- Busn. 20
ODESSA FLOODED INTERSECTIONS
Odessa Police asking people to avoid the following areas:
- Intersection of 42nd and Dixie
- Tom Green
- Andrews Highway
- 2nd Street
- Highway 80
- SE Loop 338
- JBS Parkway
When there's water running across a road, drivers should always turn around and choose a different route. These are the facts:
- Six inches of water can cause tires to lose traction and begin to slide.
- Twelve inches of water can float many cars.
- Two feet of rushing water will carry off pick-up trucks, SUVs and most other vehicles.
- Water across a road may hide a missing segment of roadbed or a missing bridge.
- In flash floods, waters rise so rapidly they may be far deeper by the time you are halfway across, trapping you in your vehicle.
- Flash floods are especially treacherous at night when it is very difficult to see how deep waters may be or how fast water is rising.
- Floodwater weakens roadbeds. Drivers should proceed cautiously after waters have receded, since the road may collapse under the weight of the vehicle.
OnCor is reporting scattered power outages.
- MISD - CANCELED. Decisions on after-school activities will be made later this morning.
- Midland College - "Due to extreme high water, all roads around Midland College are impassable. All campus locations in Midland are closed until 10:00 a.m. Classes will begin and offices will open at 10:00 this morning. Students and employees are strongly cautioned NOT to enter campus until that time!"
- Bynum School - 2 hour delay, morning care will not be provided
- Hillcrest School - 2 hour delay
- The Village School in Midland - CLOSED
- City of Midland offices - delayed until 10 a.m.
- Midland County Library will be closing at 2:30 p.m. due to projected heavy rainfall later this afternoon
- Midland Museum of the Southwest - CLOSED
- Big 2's "Paws in the Park" at The Off The Leash Dog Park, Behind Hogan Park on Saturday - CANCELLED
- Greenwood ISD's High School Football game - CANCELLED. It will be played Saturday, September 29th. (All homecoming activities will take place at the game: Crowning of Homecoming Queen, recognition of 2002 Football Team, etc.) Time and venue will be posted as soon as established.
-Midland Trinity Football game - CANCELLED. At this time it's not clear if the game will be rescheduled.
- Odessa College - Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday in Deaderick Auditorium - POSTPONED. A notice will be sent at a later date with the rescheduled day and time.
- Ellen Noel Art Museum's Saturday Sidewalk Art Contest - CANCELLED. As of now, Art a la Carte and the Kite Flying Extravaganza are still scheduled.
- Black-out Odessa Bike Rally in downtown Odessa on Saturday - CANCELLED
- ECISD tennis matches scheduled for Saturday - POSTPONED. They will be played on Monday. The competition times, opponents and locations will remain the same - OHS and PHS are hosting Abilene High and Abilene Cooper.