The blaze broke out at Johnny's Barbeque (360 North Big Spring Street) in downtown Midland around 2:10 PM Wednesday.
Fire officials tell Big 2 that some grease by the restaurant's smokers ignited, sending flames and thick smoke into the air.
Firefighters were able to douse the flames quickly, and no one was injured.
Since the smokers are located behind the restaurant, the interior of Johnny's Barbeque wasn't damaged in the blaze.
Since no food was on the smokers when the fire broke out, the restaurant was actually able to remain open after the blaze.
Restaurant owners tell Big 2 that the restaurant is open Wednesday evening.