The blaze was at the Thornwood Apartments on North A Street in Midland. Firefighters arrived Thursday night and found fire coming through the roof, but they quickly got it under control.
Later, the firefighters found that the fire started in the upstairs bathroom of Apartment 150, after maintenance used a torch to fix a copper pipe fitting.That fire then spread into the attic, where it got worse. Half of the attic was seriously damaged, and all apartments suffered smoke and water damage.
The apartment managers are trying to find new housing for their families while the damage is repaired.