The blaze happened at the Apple Ridge Apartments on Santa Cruz around 12:30 PM Wednesday. Odessa fire investigators are now saying that a cigarette started the fire. A resident left his apartment with the lit cigarette still burning near a newspaper, sparking the flames.
No one was hurt, and fire units put out the blaze within an hour. The apartment, however, suffered smoke damage, and has left the resident temporarily without a home.
The Odessa Fire Department says people should never leave cigarettes burning near flammables or anything else.