The blaze happened at a home at 1708 South Lamesa Road. The owners of that house were on the way to work when their eldest daughter called saying that there was smoke in the house. The girl was able to escape with her three younger siblings through a window.
Fire investigators say the family was using the stove as a heating source and it sparked the fire. This has been a common problem with house fires in the Permian Basin recently.
"People who you know don't have utilities are taking drastic means to keep warm," Midland Assistant Fire Marshall David Hickman told Big 2. "We encourage them to seek assistance with organizations like the Red Cross or local churches and things to help them. Maybe alternative housing or something to get them someplace warm."
No one was injured in the fire, but the kitchen was badly damage and the whole home had smoke damage. There were no smoke detectors in the home. The City of Midland stated that smoke detectors are a requirement in all rental properties and added that all residents should have working units.
The family had just moved into the home about two weeks ago. Now, the Red Cross will help that family out.