Odessa Fire and Rescue officials tell Big 2 that the flames broke out at the Acacia Apartments along Oakwood Drive around 5:30 PM Monday.
No one was home at the time of the blaze.
A resident at the home said a lit cigarette butt might have been responsible for sparking the fire.
If took 4 fire engines 40 minutes to get the flames out, but by then the entire apartment was destroyed.
Another apartment underneath the burned apartment also suffered serious water damage.
No people were injured in the fire, but 2 dogs in the apartment died.