In the summer months, each degree you set your thermostat below 78° F could increase your cooling costs by 5-7%.
- Replace your manual thermostat with a programmable model because when properly programmed, these thermostats can save you up to 10% in cooling costs.
- Leave the fan setting
thermostat in the ‘Auto’ position to ensure that the motor blower
operates only when the compressor is running.
Getting the most out of your programmable thermostat
Programmable thermostats can help you reduce your cooling costs by allowing you to automatically set your temperature to an energy-saving level for extended periods.
Follow these tips:
- Before you program, plan your schedule. Use the Energy Star® recommended settings and temperatures below as a guide.
- Take the time to program your thermostat.
- Resist the urge to override the temperature.
- Set a constant temperature before you leave on vacation.
- Ensure your thermostat is properly positioned.
- Don’t forget to maintain your