1. Never use a generator inside of a structure. Generators create Carbon Monoxide, which can be fatal. Always read the manufacture instructions before using any type of appliance
2. Unvented gas space heaters will produce Carbon Monoxide. Even though many homes still have these heating appliances, ventilation is very important.
3. Electric Space Heaters must be at least three feet clear of any combustible items, (sofas, chairs, beds, toys, clothing, etc.)
4. Do not use your kitchen cooking appliances (stoves) as a heat source. They are not designed for this purpose and can result in a buildup of Carbon Monoxide and fire.
5. Make sure flashlights have fresh batteries. Keep flashlights in various areas of your home so they can be easily found.
6. Battery operated radios will be helpful to obtain weather and other news if electricity is lost.
7. Keep warm clothes and blankets available.
8. Do not drive unless completely necessary.
9. Be careful if using candles. Do not leave them unattended.