MIDLAND--The smoke has settled in an Odessa shopping center in the 3600 block of Dixie a day after fire and smoke damaged several businesses. Now there is very little left to one family owned shop.
"Just piles of ashes that used to be items and pictures and things like that."
Other things damaged include an over 100 year old chest, an antique cash register, books and other knick-knacks.
"Just shocking is the best way to put it."
Shantique's has been in business for seven years. In that time, Blea said the store has been more than just a shop in the community, but an enjoyable place full of friends.
" it's just amazing that we had all that and it's sad to think of it being gone and them not being a part of our lives anymore."
For quite some time the Shantique's owners had been contemplating retiring and closing their shop. However, the fire that roared through their business Thursday night made the decision to shut down for them.
"It's closed and that's just the way it is...From what I can tell so far, if there is anything salvageable, it'll be very little."
Fire crews investigating the fire say it all started in the attic/crawl space of the business and that it may have been electrical in nature. However Blea, finds that hard to accept.
"We don't have any heat sources or anything flammable certainly so we'll just have to wait until they get their final verdict in on that."
Until the time the investigation comes to a close, Blea said they'll have to wait before they begin the cleanup process. She said being a family run business will make this time a little easier.
"It is devastating but we'll figure out what to do, the good part about it is that we are a family business, so we have our family around to help us get through it."